Why Smart People Don’t Buy American Cars

Posted by on Feb 5th, 2009 and filed under Marketplace. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry from your site | Viewed 110095 times.

The American Auto Industry is on its last legs.  They just cannot manufacture quality cars.  The trucks manufactured by GM and Ford are stellar, but Washington and Obama want to cap emissions even more strongly going forward, which could be the final nail in the US Auto Manufacturer’s coffin.

What is the most prominent reason people don’t want to buy American?  The reasons are mixed, but this article provides a major insight into the reality that is the American Automobile.  They don’t last, and consequently, their resale value is nil.

Examining this article from Edmunds, the only car in the top 10 for resale value that is from America is the Chevy Corvette.  And within several years, some American cars have devalued as much as 70% in value.  Why?  Nobody wants them because the quality is horrible.

The top ten rated cars for residual value are all Japanese and German!  More sad is the fact that the bottom 10 are all American.  Every one.

toyota_tacoma

Bottom line, if you want to lose your shirt on your car and end up with an inverted loan owing more than the car is worth just as you want to sell it, buy American.  If you want strong trade in value and the ability to get a new car when you need one, buy Japanese or German.  It is that simple.

We implore Obama, don’t bail American Auto Maker’s out any more!  Instead hire the Japanese to show GM, Ford and Chrysler how to make a car.  Or just fold the US auto industry leaving it to manufacture only trucks.  It is their only real hope.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

26 Responses for “Why Smart People Don’t Buy American Cars”

1. Jonathen says:

Why smart people don’t buy American cars? They are too damn expensive compared to their import counterparts.

When you run comparisons right down the middle; the import version often as more options than it’s American counterpart with roughly 2/3 of the price tag.

Ask yourself this; why on earth would somebody spend $55K on an SUV that has less options than it’s import counterpart that has more options, more power, better warranty, better track record for reliability, all while sporting a price tag of $32K?

Who in their right mind would even think about buying American? The American automakers need to get their heads out of their collective a$$es and drop their prices 33% across the board.

2. The real lie politic says:

Your retardedness makes me laugh @Mike -

3. Mike says:

This article makes me laugh. Toyota and Volkswagen had massive drops in reliability by the “bible” that everyone follows blindly: Consumer Reports. Look at the across the board averages for the last three years (2010-2012) Toyota and Volkswagen are BARELY above average. And let’s not forget all those massive recalls that Toyota ran and is still carrying out. And before anyone whines that I’m bashing them unfairly, I drive a German made car and (knock wood) it still runs fine.

4. Shawn says:

Bottom Line. American auto industry owners are a bunch of old farts(Republicans) who can’t seem to change with the times. Unlike their Japanese counterparts, who welcome change and modernization. The Japanese use their employees as tools for innovation and the Americans don’t pay attention to their employees suggestions. The owners just want all the money(corporate greed) to themselves without having to acknowledge that some guy on the floor came up with a great idea. Too bad for us!! American Auto Industry owners,”Get your heads out of your asses!!”, and start taking advise from the people on the bottom you pompous assholes!! Same with the US Postal Service(a dying breed). Seems like the old American companies are dying out because of their lack on innovation and willingness to listen to great people on the bottom who don’t make as much as the ones on top. But these are the everyday people who tend to know whats going on from a regular guys point of view.

5. Bob says:

@Lee
    Lee please do not derail the coversation by changing the subject. And learn to avoid personal offences in civilized conversation. What tv station do I watch is none of your business, but if you insist, I watch none. US tv is as bad as US cars: stupid and worthless. So ignoramus like myself reads books, watches movies, play chess, travel the world, drink good wine and enjoy great food at nice places, go to theater and opera.
    Buy Infiniti, what a car! Forget about US made junk, it’s irrelevant. US auto industry is dead. They run in taxoayer’ dollar.

6. WISCVET says:

Why not put quality over greed and let the American worker actually do what they can do but are not allowed to do due to corporate profit margins. It’s all about money folks and there is nothing wrong with that except the margins are way out of wack with wages. PUT PRIDE BACK WITH AMERICAN QUALITY! Bet the big boys won’t do that.

7. Albert says:

I don’t like buying anything american. Not only are american products inferior, but so is the service you receive from american businesses and american employees. Americans don’t know how to treat people. All they think about are themselves, and I believe this extends into their job and work environments. They are not very mature or professional. Foreign business owners and foreign employees truly do put their customer’s needs first. The customer is always the priority. Not so with american business owners and american employees. American business owners and american employees are selfish and put themselves first. This has been my experience many times, and it continues to be my experience. On many occasions I was treated like the enemy for no reason whenever I dealt with americans. Americans are preoccupied with their pay, their raises, their promotions, their vacations, everything but their job. This is why foreign companies are more successful. But immature and shortsighted americans put the blame for their failures on irrelevant external factors like foreign competition. Foreigners may be competition for americans, but americans are by no means competition for foreigners.

8. Lee says:

@Bob – You say you will never buy a car made by unionized workers. So you would never buy a car made in Japan or Germany? Their workers are all unionized.

These countries also have universal health care.

Obviously you will ignore these facts because you have been brainwashed by Fox News and right-wing talk radio. I feel sorry for you because you are such an ignoramus.

9. John says:

I am agree on the fact that American cars are junk. I have bought an 84 Chrysler Fifth Avenue that only has 33500 original miles on it from this 75 years old man. Everything was brand new from bottom up, even the factory sticker on the frame were still there. The car was always in the garage. The motor just purr like a cat. But the bad things all other little things kept turn up bad or malfunction. Now compare to my old beat up 84 Nissan pickup truck that I had it for 4 years and the darn thing just keeps going like the first day I had it.For 4 long years and I have not yet replace a single part on the Nissan pickup. Now that is quality you can count on.

10. Bob says:

I will never buy a car made by unionized workers. They are helpless, undereducated, know nothing, parasitic crowd. The cars that come out of Detroit, even today in 2011 is total garbage. I wouldn’t even consider it as an option in the same way as I wouldn’t consider Russian car. Period.
    In late 90x I had Nissan. Man what a car! Quality in everything, a pleasure to get in, a pleasure to touch every surface. I made on the car 60K miles and it was just like brand new. Today, I drive new Infinity G37x 2011. It is by far the best car ever made. And talking about some Detroit made junk in its presence is an offense.
    American auto workers are the worst in the world. They made cars that are so bad that government has to buy them out. Get in US made car. It is a joke. Look on US made car. It is a travesty. They are decades behind. The best hey can do is to restyle their ugly and boxy cars from 60x. They have zero skills and zero vision.
    To buy a US made car is a sign that the owner is uninformed low life moron. They are not associated with success.
    Not only that. US automakers killed every decent brand they came across. Jaguar, Volvo, Saab, Ashton-Martin etc. turned into poorly made of junk parts and lost their names.
    US cars is product of disgusting socialist direction. They are run by corrupted unions and other criminals. They will never get my money.

11. Jim says:

@Jeremy Torgersen – You must hate your country.

12. Scrap Car says:

i never buy american anyway. german or japanese is better.

13. Billy Caldwell says:

Face the facts American Cars suck. Simple as that. The only people that buy American cars are. Poor uninformed people, and Patriots. With the exception of Old Skool Muscle Cars, Trucks, and SUV’s.

I’m not rich, not even close, but I’m not poor either. I do know that smart people don’t buy American Cars. Especiaully if your in the business of buying, and selling used cars………….I can buy an American Car to flip. It could take a week to a month to sell with little or no profit……….With an Import, it only takes a day or two to sell, and make a nice profit..

14. purdygood says:

@Jim M – Your inability to use the English language in a way that shows respect for others who are complete strangers has made me get no further than the first sentence of your paragraph. I bet there are a number of people who had no interest in what you had to say after reading the first ten words of your post. Grow up. Profanity doesn’t prove you are more grown up or are more angry than the next guy. It just proves Mommie and Daddie didn’t teach you respect for yourself and others.

15. Jim M says:

It’s the f—kin’ unions and legacy costs that have completely killed a once amazing industry. American cars struggled in the 70′s but got their sh*t together and are producing some pretty damn fine cars these days. Hats off to Ford for not —- Obama’s —- and taking the taxpayers bailout (not a GOVERNMENT bailout, it’s OUR money). I drive a Toyota. An OLD one, it’s as reliable as the sunrise but if I could AFFORD a newer car, I’d definitely drive the American ones too. (Edited for some language use by site admin. Thank you.)

16. Jeremy Torgersen says:

I never plan on buying a domestic car again…unless they are built like Japanese cars. For now I will only drive Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, or Nissans.

17. gandolph says:

For a look at different car resale values, check out:

18. Bill Gates says:

@Ralph – The sad thing is also that Chrysler ( a private company) took a huge government bailout and then bankrupted. Where did the money from the government loan go. I think it was wiped out in the bankruptcy. So much for the American taxpayer. I personally have never seen theft by businesses on such a GRAND scale and nobody is going to jail. Let the average citixen try stealing a pack of gum from circle K and watch the swat team swing into action.

19. Bill Gates says:

@Ralph -Amen to that!!

20. annuta says:

You know, I think it’s depends on situation, my brother likes to buy Russian cars , me not. I prefer American, even if they eat more gas.

21. Ralph says:

The #1 reason American cars are junk is because they are built by people that do drugs an drink on the job. Japanese and German cars are built by professionals that love their jobs and have pride in their work. America lost that decades ago thanks to cocaine and crack. I’d rather push a Japanese car than drive an American car.

22. Keith says:

North American cars are good. They are obviously percieved to be poorly made though. In the ’70′s we called asian cars “jap crap” – that was obviously a perception problem that was successfully turned around. Customers will not return because of protectionism ie buy american or starve..they will buy american when they are percieved to be a good deal.

23. Cyle says:

I agree with this article. I am so sick and tired of seeing don’t buy foriegn this, that and the other thing. it’s about time that these arrogant American fools get the fight brought back on them. They were the giants too long, and now it’s time to bring them down.

24. ThePMan says:

Originally Posted By Dane… you man. Smart People don’t buy American Cars? It is because of cheap … like you America is going to lose millions of jobs. Hopefully … liberals like you will realize the mistakes you are making and go back to domestics.

Actually Dane the fact of the matter is the big three GM, Crysler, and Ford are more than 75% over seas where as they are taking away american jobs. Now here is the amazing part Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have more factories in america then over seas there for making more jobs for Americans then the american car companies. Not to mention the quality of the cars is no comparison. In the end Dane next time make sure you know the facts before you say something like that when your the one supporting the people taking away american jobs.

25. Bill says:

Dane, buying an American car to keep jobs here is beating a dead horse. People have already realized that these cars are junk and they switch to an import car/truck.
    The best selling American car now it the corvette, but at $70,000 dollars your wasting alot of money.
    People have fully restored cars for less than 70k. So why buy a piece of junk when you can build a car to your liking.

26. Dane says: